Skip to main content

Hyperventilation

3 days ago, an accident happened. it made me realize that i really know nothing. i am still not knowledgeable to mentally fit in into the world i chose. physically, i still don't fit in. Professionally speaking, what i can only do during my clinical exposures is only to build up a therapeutic communication and providing confidentiality at times. I am still not effective enough to be called as a globally competetive nurse in the future. yes, it's not always to be about competetion or so on. it's only a term to that will give you enough knowledge and strength to get all the necessary informations to correctly diagnose a patient. with the correct diagnosis, your part as a nurse is already starting. you need to show now how effective you are as a nurse by implementing your independent nursing interventions. when you say independent nursing interventions, it means independently doing your care and actions without the order or informing the physician. A lack of information about the client's condition (taken from health history and physical assessment) would even mean death esp. when client has a deficient knowledge about his condition. Now, let's go on to the real thing. "Experience is still the best teacher." I was outside the nursing arts lab with my other classmates understanding a procedure to be performed one by one inside. i am there outside sitting with a girl friend next me. we were talking when i asked her to listen to me if i'll be able to tell all the procedures in order with the correct rationale (the reason why you need to do a certain procedure) when in less than 2 minutes i experienced the following:

1. difficulty of breathing (DOB)

2. chest pain

3. headache

4. numbness of hand to general numbness of all body parts

5. decrease in level of consciousness

6. locking of jaw

7. malaise



i am talking to her telling all the procedure in order when i experienced DOB. i laughed at it and told it her about it but i ignored it for it is normal in my case. I verbalized, "haha, di ako makahinga. sh*t. haha. wait." i continued the procedure then i lost my consciousness until i found myself inside with my instructor giving a first-aid. it is then when i knew that it's a case of hyperventilation. How stupid i was that i didn't even knew that it is a case of hyperventilation.



This is what i know about hyperventilation:

-->Hyperventilation is a sign or probably a cause of respiratory acidosis. it is an imbalance between the level of oxygen and carbon dioxide inside our body. there is greater concentration in the level of Oxygen than of carbon dioxide. If carbon dioxide is greater than oxygen supply, it is now called hypoventilation. Hypoventilation is a sign and probably a cause of respiratory alkalosis. the bicarbonate level perhaps does not cooperate to level the two.

How can we give first aid when hyperventilation occur?

--> Get a clean plastic bag then breath there. do mouth brething instead of breathing in nose. place the plastic in nose and mouth then secure it to ensure that the client is breathing the plastic. habe the client breath slowly

Why breath in a plastic bag?

--> this is for you to take carbon dioxide instead of oxygen. with that, the level of carbon dioxide and oxygen will level.

When do we stop the procedure?

--> when all the signs and symptoms were gone. especially the numbness of all body parts. slowly while in the procedure, it will lower down. level of consciousness will be regained then all will follow.

What do we do after?

--> keep the client relaxed. have the client sit for greater lung expansion but be informed to ask the client to breath slowly even after removing the plastic bag. have the client stay where he is currently staying. then assess vital signs. haha. Vital signs includes taking of temperature (but not necessary in this case), respiratory rate, pulse rate, and blood pressure.



i guess, so much for that. i'll tell another experience the next time i post an entry. the experience i'll post after this happened first before this.

Special Thanks to:

Ms. Ailene Arellano and

Ms. Rea Madelyn Lopez who brought me inside to be given first aid

and to:

Ms. Jacquelou Javier, RN, for giving me the first aid.



Thank God i'm ok now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Get Spectacular Grades from School

This article wasn't my idea actually. Here are just realizations of what's the best way to get good grades and how to have a full long-term memory rather than having a sensory motor or short-term memory. Advices are made by our very own writer from the Philippines, Ms. Jessica Zafra. Ewan ko ba kung natagpuan nya na ang tinitibok ng puso nya. haha. what i know is that matalino siya. start na tayo? Ok, ganito yan, to others, nagsisimula na ang kalbaryo ng buhay eskwela, to others sa june 13 pa. sa iba naman ewan ko. Since school year 2006-2007 has already begun, pressure to many students also come along. Hectic schedules, a lot of assignments, stupid projects and all causes insanity that ithers just freak then shout loudly to the class: "Ayaw ko na!!! I drop this subject! I can't stand you anymore!!!" In that case you will all need this good tips given by her. UNCUT VERSION (no add-ons) "How to get ridicoulously good grades in school and move on to a glorious

Irony of a False Love

Isn’t it stupid that we allow a person whom we barely know and whom we just met to destroy the fruits of our past and to dictate our future by investing all our emotions in the belief that he/she can provide the happiness that we would need to last our lifetime? Isn’t it amazing how society can make us believe that we can leave the very people who have molded us into who we are just for this certain “special someone”? Isn’t it ironic how almost everyone subject themselves to emotional anxiety and pains in search of what they call ‘LOVE’, when in fact, nobody can even provide a single (and universally accepted) definition of this word, when nobody can guarantee an end when the journey begins? It only hurts when I’m awake. In my dreams you love me more. You let me hold you for as long as I want to and you never let go or back away from me. You let me kiss you in public no matter how passionate or sensual that kiss may be. You listen to everything I have to say even if they don’t mean j

Random 101

Inspired. No. I am not in love. Let's just say that I got inspired with what my mother told me. They are actually creepy stories and I can't believe that my father will be able to do such thing when I was a child. Even though our set of businesses are starting to fall one by one, he still managed to provide everything that i want. If only I know what is happening that time, I should've not tolerated him. The story my mother told me made me cry and it gave me the determination to push even harder. I know they expected a lot from me about taking up a business-related course and i failed them. But i'll prove them wrong. I reserved something better for them. And won't fail them this time. Not even a little. I won't tell what that creepy story was. I just want to remember that i got inspired with what my mother told me. When I look at this entry after some long years, still, I will remember what that creepy story was. Love. In relation to the first part, I just real